MEET YOUR CANDIDATE - JASON LUM
Councillor Jason Lum has been a hardworking advocate on behalf of the citizens of Chilliwack.
Lum’s first two terms saw him take an active role on several Committees, including Chairing the Public Safety Advisory Committee, Vice-Chairing the Transportation Advisory Committee, as well as acting as the Council Liaison for the Chilliwack Innovation Network, and the Chilliwack Creative Commission. He has been elected three times to the Executive of the Lower Mainland Local Government Association by his peers in Local Government, and most recently completed two terms as President of the Association. His efforts on behalf of the City have helped raise awareness around issues from homelessness and mental health, to flood protection to senior levels of government. In 2016 Lum was elected Chair of the Fraser Valley Regional District, and leads a 23 member board of Directors as one of the youngest elected Regional District Chairs in the Province.
Prior to his election in 2011, Lum was the youngest elected president of the Chilliwack Chamber of Commerce, and a board member on a number of local charitable and non-profit organizations. Lum is also a small business owner, and a member of the Mount Cheam Rotary Club, with deep roots in the community. Recently, he was chosen as one of UFV’s “Top 40,” which recognizes 40 outstanding alumni whose ideas, passion, leadership and achievements have helped shape UFV and the communities they serve. Lum is a longtime resident of Chilliwack, and currently resides in Yarrow with his wife, Sheila.
Councillor Lum currently represents the community as a member of the:
• Public Safety Advisory Committee (Chair)
• Chilliwack Creative Commission
• Chair, Fraser Valley Regional District Board
• Fraser Valley Regional Hospital Board
• Chilliwack Innovation Network
• Past President, Lower Mainland Local Government Association Executive
• Director, Union of BC Municipalities
• Rural Issues Advisory Committee (Vice Chair)
• Chair, Downtown Marketing/Implementation Committee
• Chair FVRD Zero Waste Working Group
• Fraser Valley Regional Treaty Advisory Committee
• Transportation Advisory Committee (Chair)
• Housing Committee (Vice Chair)
• Committee to Approve Public Events (Vice Chair)
• Design Review Panel (Chair)
• Chilliwack Cultural Centre Liaison
• Agricultural Advisory Committee (Vice Chair)
• Council Liaison Agricultural Commission